Here’s what we’ve learned…
According to the Jeep manual:
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing!
How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here’s how to do that:
- Start with the key in the “accessory” position.
- Depress the brake pedal.
- Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
- Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
- Start the engine.
- Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
- Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
- IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
- Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
- Apply the parking brake.
- Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.**
- Release the parking brake.
**Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler Unlmited. The bumper face bar will be damaged.
How To Shift Out Of Neutral On A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Once you reach your destination, you will want to unhook the Jeep from the tow vehicle. Here’s how to do that:
- Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
- Shift the transfer case lever into desired position (usually 4-Hi)***
- Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or release the clutch on a manual transmission.
***We found that it’s easier to shift the transfer case into position if you start the engine on the Jeep first.
From the Jeep manual:
The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move despite the transmission position. The parking brake should always be applied with the driver is not in the vehicle.”
- The Best Towing and Hauling Tips & Products
- Adapting An Automatic Transmission Vehicle For Towing 4 Wheels Down
- Towing Laws By State
- How To Tow With Four Wheels Down
- Annual Tow Ratings For 1999 To Present Model Vehicles
- Flat Towing A Jeep Wrangler: Tow Bars & Trailer Lights
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).